Soup is often dismissed as boring and too simple. But in my humble opinion, there is nothing more comforting coming into the Winter months than a big bowl of hot soup and crusty bread 🙂 AMAZING! Below are a few of my favourite healthy recipes. None require any over the top ingredients or culinary skills so no need to panic.
- Sweet Potato and Lentil
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 pounds of sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 pints of stock (chicken is best for flavour but any type will work fine)
- 1 cup of red lentils
- 1 tsp of ground turmeric
- 1 can of coconut milk
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add the sweet potatoes.
- Stir for 10 minutes until coated with the oil.
- Add the stock, lentils and turmeric.
- Add the seasoning.
- Bring to the boil while stirring.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk.
- Blend until smooth, it should be quite thick and creamy.
- If it’s too thick, just add water.
2. Roasted Tomato
- 600g cherry tomatoes
- 1 large red onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 10 basil leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pint of stock (chicken preferable)
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Cut the tomatoes in half, peel and chop the onion, crush the garlic.
- Add to a large bowl with the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Mix together and massage with your hands.
- Transfer to an oven proof dish and roast for 20-30 minutes at 180° C.
- Chop the basil leaves.
- Transfer the mix to a large saucepan and place on a low heat.
- Stir in the basil.
- Add the stock and mix again with a large spoon until soft.
- Blitz with a blender.
This bad boy can also be used as a basic tomato sauce for Bolognese, shepherd’s pie, pasta etc.
3. Left-over Veggie Soup
I love taking all the veggies that are left in the fridge at the end of the week and making a huge bowl of soup. I hate waste so this is a great way of using up any left-overs before they go all stinky in the back of the fridge. Pretty much any veg will work here so play around and experiment to find your favourite combo.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 red onion
- 1 pint of stock
- Salt and Pepper
- Herbs of choice
- Veg of choice
- Fry off 2 cloves of garlic and 1 red onion in as big a pot as you can find.
- Once the garlic and onion are a delightful golden brown, add your chosen veggie that will be the main flavour of your soup. No matter what you’ve chosen, make sure it’s cut up nice and small and cook until soft.
- Add herbs and seasoning of choice. Thyme, bay leaves and parsley are personal favourites of mine, but it depends what other flavours you’ve got going on. And of course, lots of salt and pepper.
- Add your veggie or chicken stock to the mix. Just make sure everything is well covered.
- Let simmer for 20-30 minutes and blend.
There ya have it! 3 simple and healthy soup recipes perfect to help you stay on your healthy journey all Winter long. Let me know if you try any of these or have any of your own favourite recipes. If you’re looking for other ways to stay on track, check out my post on motivation. As ever, thanks for reading! 🙂